Thursday, August 25, 2011

Personal Statements - The Maker or Breaker

So you finally decided to apply to college, or for you paper-holding folks, graduate or professional school? You have your transcripts already electronically sent off to the colleges your applying to. You finally received those three letters of recommendation you've been "e-mail stalking" your past professors and teachers about. You scored pretty decent on the SAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, GMAT etc. Your resume or curriculum vitae seems presentable. There's just one itty bitty problem. You have yet to write that one paper that could make or break your academic future. That dreadful personal statement.


Well, folks that's where I come in. I was just like you, trying to figure out what school(s) to apply to. All of my application materials were in tip-top shape, but when I got in front of my computer, to write the make or break statement, I felt like my life was over. But I saw the light, eventually.


So why listen to anything I have to say? Well for starters I taught English Composition and Creative Writing to college freshman, and worked as a writing consultant and thesis consultant to undergrad, grad, professional, and honors students as well as faculty across disciplines during my masters. I'm currently working on my PhD in Medical Anthropology and Digital Arts and Science. I know a little something something about personal statements, if I must say so myself, and stay tuned to this blog to learn tips on how to write a statement that makes all your dreams come true, or at least keeps those admission committees from tossing your application in the slush pile.


Personal Statement (PS): Happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment